Do you qualify for free tax preparation?

In order to qualify for free tax preparation, you must have combined income less than $55,000 in the tax year. In addition, there are other situations that are outside the VITA scope of service. Click here for qualifications. No matter which tax site you visit here is a list of what to bring to your tax preparer.

For each person listed on the return, bring:

  • Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) card or letter.
  • Birth Date
  • Prior year’s tax return
  • Valid picture I.D.
  • Income Statement or Forms
  • Wages from each job (W-2)
  • Interest (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
  • Retirement Plans (Form 1099-R)
  • Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
  • Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
  • Social Security Benefits (Form SSA)
  • Miscellaneous Income (Form 1099-MISC)
  • Sales of stock (Form 1099-B)
  • Affordable Health Care Statements (Forms 1095 -A, B, or C)


If applicable also bring:

  • Amounts paid for qualified education expenses of higher education for an eligible student. For Example, books and supplies necessary for classes.
  • Tuition expenses you paid to attend a university/technical college (Form 1098-T).
  • Interest you paid on student loans (Form 1098-E).
  • Daycare expenses you paid for your children. Bring the provider’s name, address and tax ID or Social Security number.
  • Records of cash and non-cash contributions.
  • Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid (Form 1098) and/or Property Tax statements sent out by the county.
  • Renters over age 62: Certificate of Rent Paid from your landlord.


To have your refund quicker, bring your checking and/or savings account and routing number or apply for a free MyRA account, a prepaid debt card at the site, or choose to purchase a US Savings Bond for you or someone else. Please note that if you are married and filing a joint tax return both spouses must be present to sign, not necessarily at the same time.

Choose the Montana or Idaho tax site that best suits your needs and schedule. If it’s a site that requires an appointment call and schedule a time after you have received all required documents. Otherwise, please go to a walk-in site. Although, we try our best to be quick, we are thorough in our work and take QUALITY seriously.

Helpful Links

What to Bring

Where to Go